Sunday, September 15, 2013

Dog Pound....that's a sad movie right there.


So my friend and I decided to watch a random film on Netflix, and we stumbled upon Dog Pound. That was a good/bad choice. So the film itself was...I don't even know what to say. It was very VERY depressing. It just might be the most depressing movie I've ever seen. Seriously. It centers around 3 adolescent, troubled teens who get sent to a juvenile center: David for selling drugs, Angel for car theft, and the last one, Carlin, for assaulting a police officer. Well, the three are sent to a correctional facility for troubled teen boys, and the three soon learn the harsh, terrifying events that happen there. The other inmates are vicious; for example, a group of boys preyed on David's drug habits and falsely gave him "cocaine" (it was NOT cocaine) for absolutely no reason, and left him alone, crying in his cell, somewhat paralyzed until he gained strength to crawl his way to the door in order for a guard to see him. Carlin also gets his share of abuse when he gets jumped in his room by the same group of guys that took advantage of David (also for no reason). The guards at the center are almost worse than the inmates; they could care less about the welfare of the boys. Many of them look the other way at gang activity, and some of them add on to the abuse that the boys receive as well. The film is edited to look cold and bleak so it adds a lot to the mood of the story which is ultimately cold and bleak as well. I want to give a good synopsis of this film, but there is too much that happens that I can't even begin to form a coherent summary. I also don't want to ruin it for you because I really want you to see it. Not because it's good; it's alright, but not amazing or anything. It has a lot of unnecessary moments and the plot  is sort of scattered, but the emotions it evokes are crazy. I've never been so sad about a film before. I give it a 6/10 (it could have been way better honestly), but if you don't mind being emotionally and mentally toyed with, then be my guest and watch this movie. Just know that every time I even slightly think about this film, it hits hard. You're probably not going to feel the same after you see it. And If you like happy endings, this isn't the film for you. At all. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment